Sunday 17 November 2013

Exploring England: Misadventures at the Lake District

So after finishing my dissertation I really have been feeling a huge amount of wanderlust, sadly I can't go out of the country *my money doesn't fall from trees!* so I decided to go around places in England that I've never been before instead. I already wrote about my trip to York to see my brother in York Day, Fun Day. Check it out! I'm thinking of making this "Exploring England" an every Sunday affair till the end of the year! It also challenges me to keep going to more places which would be fun.

The past week has been kind of slow, hence the lack of blogposts but I was looking at pictures on my camera roll and saw some pictures I took in the Lake District with my coursemates after we handed in our dissertation. We arrived to what was possibly the gloomiest, darkest day in September. Like it was awful! The rain wouldn't stop, or would stop briefly and then thunder down again after 5 minutes and on top of that it was freeeezing! Oh yes I should say, we were in Windermere in the Lake District, home of Beatrix Potter, the amazing author behind my childhood favourite Peter Rabbit. Sadly we didn't get to go to "The World of Beatrix Potter", I don't think my flatmates shared my enthusiasm, plus did I mention the rain? We walked about from shop to shop trying desperately to find an umbrella for myself and two others who were really not dressed appropriately for the weather but they were all seriously over-priced! For me at least.. £18 for a broly that will destroy in the wind?? No thankee.

So we walked when it was dry and ducked when it was wet. Walk, duck, walk, duck until we saw one of the very first lakes! Beautiful isn't it? I'm not sure if I've mentioned my love for water before, there's something so calming about it. I could sit by this lake all day and just watch the water move, so serene, just there in it's natural habitat.
I love this picture because of that little house across the lake in the midst of all the greenery. I wonder who lives there.
This was one of the few pictures I took when we were on a boat cruise down the Lake Windermere methinks.
The water and the skies match each other so well. Both intimidating shades of grey, they look like they are both about to burst open at the seams.
After getting off the boat, we decided it was time to be on our merry way home. Everyone was freezing and hungry as well so we started the long trek back when we spotted this!


The rainbow was literally there for five seconds and I was so happy I managed to capture it. It's definitely my favourite picture from the trip, look at the vista of hills behind the houses. So amazing. It's so easy to get bogged down with the details of life and let that gloomy feeling follow us around for ages, be it about school, university or even friends. But my rainbow (yes, it's mine, Reni's Rainbow :D) my rainbow shows that these things never last for long and if we stay focussing on the things that are wrong, we just might miss out on all the things that are going right. The rainbow, God's promise to never flood the earth again. Isn't it beautiful?

After the rainbow the skies let up considerably! There was actually some blue in it! We found this hotel on a hill which reminded me of a 1940's love story. Maybe something along the lines of dirty dancing! Haha.

And then we posed for one final picture and said bye bye to the beautiful Lake Windermere. 

In the words of Wordsworth "None of the other lakes unfold so many fresh beauties to him who sail upon them" I certainly want to visit the Lake District again, with any luck it will be on a drier day. But incase it's not, I'd have some waterproofs and a nice £4 umbrella at the ready! Haha.

Hope you've had a great weekend.

Reni x

4 comments:

  1. next stop paris!!! you know who this is!
    p.s lake district looks so beautiful!!! your post has made me want to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! Paris WILL happen! And it's soo pretty up there, the pictures don't even do it justice! xx

      Delete
  2. Aww, I saw a rainbow today after handing in my coursework. I like the picture with the rainbow and the hotel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! they're so nice to spot aren't they? Hope the hand in was good! xx

      Delete

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...